Apply to be a Transition Coach!
To see every child to and through college.
As scholars transition from high school to college, our vision is to provide academic support, boost self-esteem and enhance social competence by providing scholars with a caring adult mentor who encourages and helps them achieve their potential.
- The majority of our senior will be first generation college students.
- The Transition Coach Program matches scholars with mentors in the community to provide additional support as they plan and prepare to transition into college and careers.
- Mentorship is greatly needed to provide support, guidance and encouragement at such a critical time in their life.
- Attend Transitional Coach Orientation Workshop
- Attend quarterly formal mentor/mentee luncheon meetings.
- Twice a month formal check-in with high school senior via text, email, phone or in person.
- Communicate with Program Coordinator and Scholar if you are unable to attend the formal mentor/mentee luncheon meeting.
Qualities we look for in a Transition Coach:
- Strong listening skills
- Patience and flexibility
- A strong commitment to the mentoring initiative (e.g., be dependable and available during the school year to support the scholar)
- An openness to cultural differences
- The ability to be encouraging and supportive
- An openness to feedback
We Ask Our Transition Coaches To:
- Assist scholars in their transition from high school to college.
- Help scholars set goals and encourage achievement of those goals.
- Build a relationship with scholars by planning and participating in activities.
- Provide advice, guidance, and support as needed.
- Demonstrate patience and flexibility.
- Serve as a postiive role model.
- Inform Program Coordinator when you meet with a scholar off campus.
- Provide monthly status updates to Transition Coach Program Coordinator.
- Complete an application and background check.
You will also be invited to attend mentee recognition events!
If you are interested in helping a young person reach his or her full potential by sharing knowledge and life experiences, professional expertise and successes both past and present, please contact:
Transition Coach Program Coordinator